Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baking Time

Don't take what's in the oven
Out of the oven

It's supposed to be a cake
But that's only if we leave it in there
For the right amount of time
Otherwise it could turn into anything

Remember when I tried to make muffins
And I wound up with tarts?

That's what happens
If you rush baking

No, the recipe has nothing to do with it
Recipes have nothing to do with baking
Or cooking, or anything
Recipes are for people who don't know what they're doing
I know what I'm doing
Which means when I follow a recipe
I end up over-thinking things
And everything turns out awful

I need to learn to trust my instincts

I know how long to leave that cake in for
I am not a moron
I can bake
It's just a cake
Do you smell smoke?

No, no, never mind
It's not smoke
I'm psyching myself out

As soon as I open that oven door
I will see a beautiful, perfectly baked cake
That will immediately collapse
Because I didn't trust myself
And that is the punishment you receive
When you open the oven door too soon

And that's not just baking advice
That's advice for life

The time is right
Whenever you say it's right
Any sooner or later than that
And whatever you're trying to do
Will turn into a colossal failure

So we're just going to trust
That the cake is fine

You know what?

I think I may even let it sit
Ten minutes longer
Than I originally thought

That's how confident I am
In my--The kitchen's on fire, isn't it?

Okay, so we've learned that instincts
And time
Are both very tricky

No comments:

Post a Comment