Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Music and Time

A girl just came in
And asked if we had whatever Cyndi Lauper album
Has 'Time After Time' on it

I gave her the greatest hits
But I remember the original album
Because that was my wedding song

Well, my second wedding
I think my first wedding song
Was 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'
Which was lovely
Until I found out my husband was actually screwing a girl named Lucy
And the song was about LSD
Then the whole thing
Kinda fell apart
In terms of sentiment

But the second marriage
Well, that one took

I think the girl was surprised
To see a woman of a certain age
Running a music store

That's an honor usually reserved
For young stoners
Or aging vegans
Or a combination of both

I took over the store
After my husband died

I keep all his favorite records in the back

He wasn't a Cyndi Lauper fan
But I put my foot down
When it came to our wedding song
Because all wedding songs
Should have something about time in them
To remind you what it is you're doing

You are committing your time

Your love?  Yes
Your devotion?  Yes, well, in most cases (See First Husband)
Your genes should you have children--which we didn't?  Yes

But really
You're committing your time

We put a lot of years into this store
And it'll probably be closed in a year

Time passes
People pass too

But when I want to slow things down
I can always go in the back
And play those records he loved
And it's like he's still here

Music has a way of doing that

Put on a good record
And it's like no time's gone by at all
Since the first time you heard it

No comments:

Post a Comment