Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Time

A thousand years from now
I will have celebrated my thousandth birthday
Except nobody lives that long
And even though I haven't been born yet
It's a comfort to know
That there is a point
I will never reach
Or maybe I will
But right now
A thousand years
Would be stretching it some

My parents are not together
And will not be together
Not now
And not for the duration
Of my life
And this will not impact me
In any way

They have given me
All they need to give me

Life and time

Here, in the place before Birth
Time is like a ball
You can bounce up and down

We're meant to play with it here
Because the Universe
Does not want us
To take it
So seriously

Only the most dangerous people
Take time seriously
Or the loneliest

I look forward to things
That people who are already alive
Fear even discussing

Aging
Growing
Dying

I look forward to them
Because they're natural

Because they're exactly what it means
To be alive

I look forward to being born
And feeling time
Be placed on my head
Like a crown

I imagine my mother and father looking at me
With this new gift
And saying--

Okay then

What are you going to do with it?

What are you going to do
With all this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment