Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Test of Time

I asked you to read an autobiography
Of a girl only five years older
Than most of you

In front of you
Is a test
On that autobiography

It is a timed test

You will have until the end of the period
Fifty-five minutes
To finish this test

You will not, I repeat, you will not
Be able
To finish
This test

If you're resourceful
And sensible
And quick

You may be able
To pass this test

None of you
Will ace this test

I'd be shocked
If any of you
Even managed a 'B'

This is one of those moments
Where I am trying to teach you something
Because I am a teacher
And because my job occasionally extends beyond
Shoving knowledge into your head
And hoping that it sticks

Occasionally my job
Involves giving you something
That you can take out into the world with you

Something that you can actually apply
To your everyday life

And so we have this test

Some of you may have already guessed
That this test is a metaphor

Some of you may be curious about it
Some may just be dreading it
Some may be hoping it won't count
But believe me
It's going to count

And if it damages your precious GPA's
Then so be it

The goal is to do as much
With the time you have as possible

Accrue as many points
Answer as many questions
Don't waste time on things you don't know

Be able to differentiate
Between what you don't know
And what you really don't know

The ability to do that
Will be more useful to you
In the real world
Than almost anything else I could teach you

Stay calm
Breathe
Accept the fact that perfection
Is unattainable

Because I'm telling you
It's unattainable

Trust me

There are questions on this test
Even I don't know the answer to

It's not just about the answers
It's about doing the best you can
In the time given to you

Some of you prepared
That's good
Some of you over-prepared
That's good too
Some of you didn't prepare at all
And even though those of you who did prepare
Might not want to hear this
I'm going to let you all know
That in the end
Whichever one of these groups you fall into
You probably all have exactly the same chance
At getting a good or bad grade

That's just called 'luck'
And luck is luck

So good luck

Oh, and it seems I've taken up a few minutes of the time you were given

I guess you'll have to make the most
Of what's left

Pencils out
Eyes down

And...

Begin

No comments:

Post a Comment