Wednesday, February 22, 2012

This Can Be Christmas

The thing is
We sort of missed Christmas
Because my brother was working at the restaurant
And a table came in
One of those tables
That just won't leave
And he had to stay
Even though it was Christmas
Because, you know, maybe they don't celebrate Christmas
And so who cares if they ruin--

Anyway, he wasn't there
And my mother wasn't feeling well
And I said, you know what?
We can do Christmas anytime

Christmas is just a day, you know?
It's just a day that you pick
To celebrate your family

So last week I said--

What the hell?
This can be Christmas

So we do Christmas a few months late
So what?

I'll tell you something:
Shopping was easier
Cooking was easier
It was hard to find Christmas wrapping paper
I'll give you that
So I'm using 'Congratulations on Your Divorce' wrapping paper

It was too good to pass up

And we're all going to get together
And spend time with one another
And I guess we could do this anyway
But lately if you can't call something a holiday
Good luck getting everybody in one place for it

People need something to call time
They can't just say
It's Saturday
Let's spend today with our families
They need a reason
So I'm calling it something

Today

I'm calling today Christmas

And it can be
This can be Christmas

I guess any day can be
I guess any day can be whatever you want it to be

But I'll admit
I'm glad I had a reason
To keep the lights up
A little bit longer

No comments:

Post a Comment