Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Who Learns Time Anymore?

I get frustrated because
She gets on my case
About whether or not
I'm there on time
And I'm just like--

You know who gets anywhere on time?
Poor people show up on time

Everyone else gets there
When they damn well please
And that's a fact

Who learns time anymore?
Who needs to?

We live in a free-flowing society
Where people are meant to exist
In a state of constant flux
That is, again, if you're doing well for yourself

My sister's having some trouble in her marriage
And so she's clinging to the things she knows
The basic principles
That she believes makes someone
A good person

Being on time
Recycling
Shopping at Whole Foods

I don't have time for any of that!

That's the ironic thing

All the criticizing she's doing
About me
About how I spend my time
About how I should spend it better
On better things--

Do you have any idea
How much extra time she spends
Desperately trying to save time
Because she thinks
When you save time
Someone puts it in a box somewhere
And when you fill up the box
It means you're some kind of saint?

I don't understand it

I don't understand the correlation she has
Between time and morality
And family
And the fact that when we were kids we were close
Because I used to dye her hair black
And by the way
The fact that she forgives me for that
Is probably the nicest thing about her

With her, it's all about this rigid
Do this
Do that

WHY-AREN'T-YOU-HERE-YET?

It's exhausting
It's totally exhausting

Who has time for it, you know?

I mean, pardon the pun
But seriously

Who has the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment