Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Drowning in Time

No, you can't listen
To a damn thing
That kid says
Rocks back and forth in his room
Chewing on pencils
And he'd fucking eat 'em
If you gave him the chance

Muttering numbers
Muttering reasons
Why he's not crazy

I tell him
If you say you're not crazy
That means you're fucking crazy
And how come school didn't teach you that?

Fuck, everybody knows that
One, two, three, four

Never should have put that clock in his room
'Cause now he's fucked up
All locked up in time

Surefire way to drive someone crazy
Is to give them too much time
Or not enough
Or ask them to explain it

I tried handing him a beer
Saying, 'Here.  This'll take the edge off'
And he bit my hand
Little fucker

So if he wants to stay
Staring at a clock
Because his mama said she'd be back by five
Ten years ago
Then that's fine with me
I don't play into it
Because it's evil

Numbers and time
And rocking back and forth
And telling yourself
That you can control
When some bitch is coming back to you
Is just wrong

Take it like it comes, right?
Time comes on you
Like the tide

And my boy in there?

He's drowning

Drowning himself in time

No comments:

Post a Comment