Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Now's the Time

Let's get something straight
I'm about family
I'm all about family

When other mothers were hiring nannies
--There was this nanny craze, there always is
Everyone at the firm had a nanny
And I was bringing my son into work with me
Holding him with one arm
On the phone with the other
Like a photo out of Ms. magazine

So this has nothing to do with family
This has to do with timing

Now's the time
To get him off the board

He's my son
And I love him
But the longer he stays on
The more I worry
About the direction
The company's going in

And he--and I didn't want to bring this up
But I think he's sleeping with someone at his company
This nineteen-year-old intern
I know, it's pathetic
You'd think I raised a politician

Don't ask me how I know
How is not important

What's important is that we can use this
As leverage
To convince him
That sitting on this board
Is not in his best interest

Of course, I wouldn't let the information out there
Destroy my own son's marriage, his family

Family's everything, remember?

And if he's backed into a tight enough corner
He'll cave
I know him
He's not strong enough to handle something like this

A scandal like that?
It would ruin him

So he steps down from the board
And then we move someone into place
That we can actually maneuver
Somebody who isn't so myopic

Maybe my grandson

God knows he's bendable

Don't get me wrong
I wish this all could be worked out
In a way that's less...

...Well, messy, for lack of a better word

But that's what business is

Business is messy
Work is messy
Especially hard work

Mess

That's something you can't avoid

Not even with family

No comments:

Post a Comment