Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And She's Gone

I'm seeing this therapist
Every Tuesday
After I go check in on this guy
I used to play cards with

He's losing his memory
Which is a nicer way of saying his mind
So I check in on him
And we try playing cards
But he ends up just telling me
The same stories over and over

And I don't mind
Because I tell him stories about my wife
And it's nice to be able
To tell the same stories
Over and over again
It's soothing

Maybe that's why
Crazy people do it

Maybe it relaxes them

Anyway, I see the therapist
Because I've been seeing this woman
And she's the first woman I've seen
Since my wife, you know, passed
And uh, well, things are getting serious
And I feel like we're approaching that point

You know, that point
Where it's going to get

Where it's getting serious
Like maybe...

Maybe something will happen
And I...

I don't know how I feel about that

You know, my wife's been gone a few years
And I still feel like it's...cheating

So I go to this therapist
And she tells me it's not cheating
Which I already knew
But I think--

What makes me more nervous than anything
Is that it's the first time doing anything like that
Since I...since becoming a...God you know
I hate the word 'widower'
I mean, I really hate it

But that's what I am

And there's this whole newness to everything now

I remember thinking that
The week after my wife died

This is my first Monday without her
This is my first Tuesday
This is my first Thanksgiving
This is my first Christmas

And you never stop counting

You get past the firsts
And you go to the seconds

But you never stop
You never stop counting

And you get past the firsts
But the thing is
The seconds and the thirds and the tenths
They still feel
Like the firsts

Isn't that crazy?

So now I have this woman
This great woman
Who would like to...be with me
And I'm as scared as I was
When I was sixteen
Going to a dance
Knowing that night
I was going to get lucky
And that the girl I was getting lucky with
Was going to be my wife someday

I was right
She was

And she was a hell of a wife

And I can't help but thinking
What are the odds?

What are the odds
I'll get that lucky again
Next time

No comments:

Post a Comment