Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And We Felt Like Kids Must Feel

We were coming home from a wedding
This really lovely wedding
Aside from the bride's dress
The bride's dress was--

Anyway, we were coming home from a wedding
And we're starving because the food at the reception was--
Anyway, we see a diner
An all-night diner
And it's--Oof, it's late
It's really late

And normally we'd be exhausted
But we're wired from the wedding me and--
Oh, I'm talking about my husband
But you gotta know that right?
Who else would I be going to a wedding with?
My personal trainer
Like my sister, who's not even ashamed when she--
Never mind, the point is
I'm with my husband
It's late
And we're at this diner

And we're at a booth
In front of this UPS guy
Sitting with his package
Oh shut up, you know what I mean
Sitting there
And these two teenage girls on the other end of us
And who knows why they were out
Or up late or whatever
Probably because they're parents
Are drug addicts
Because that's usually--

Anyway, we're right by the window
And it starts raining

And we got pie in front of us
And we're warm
And stupid, like stupid where you laugh at everything stupid
And I just, you know, I love my husband
In that moment, I mean, all moments
But especially that moment, I love him

And I feel like we're not supposed to be here
In this diner
With these diner people
These late night people
It feels kinda...

Kinda like how kids must feel
Like maybe how those kids behind us felt
Being up so late
Eating so late
Eating desert no less

And my husband reaches across the table
And puts his hand on my hand

You know, time can rob you of a lot of things
But if you're with the person you're meant to be with
It has to dig pretty deep in your pockets
To find what it's looking for

Sometimes living a good life
Feels like getting away with something

And that night
Eating pie
With my husband

I felt like I'd gotten away
With an awful lot

Like I'd stolen more from time
Than time was ever going
To get back

No comments:

Post a Comment