Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Longer We Don't Say Anything

You know it would be really easy
To make it to school
Without ever having to talk to each other

Or I could take the bus
I could do that
I'm going to be driving next month
So it wouldn't be this on-going long thing
We have to endure

I should have taken the test sooner
But there was drama club and then...

I have to do this group project today
Or, like, present it or whatever
And my two partners are going to be out sick
Because they were out late last night
At some diner

I wouldn't even know about it
Except I checked Facebook before school
And apparently I'm the only responsible teenager
Left in the world

Or person for that matter

Are you under the impression
That nobody knows what you're doing
Except me
Because I caught you?

Because that would be a stupid impression
For you to have

Lots of people know
And I'm not saying that because I know
I'm saying that
Because stuff like this
Is always known
By lots of people
Whether or not you tell anyone
This other person
This person you're seeing
Has told someone
And they've told someone
And--

You know, I really don't want to get into it
I just want to ride to school in silence
If that's okay

The longer we don't say anything the better

Because, you know
I'm sure time will heal
The mistrust and disgust and disappointment
I feel right now
But until it does
Silence is going to have to be
The temporary band-aid we put
On all of this

Silence and the understanding
That I'm probably going to hate you
For a really, really long time
And that's only based on the assumption
That you will 'fess up to all this
And I realize
That's a pretty big assumption to make
Because I'm certainly not going to try and make you
Do the right thing
Or be a good person
Because you're already not

Admitting what you've done
Would only make you
A slightly less awful person
So...

So do what you want

But for now
Let's just sit

Let's just sit and not--

Let's just let time figure it all out for us, okay?

Time knows what it's doing

We sure as hell don't

No comments:

Post a Comment