Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My First Class

I have to do the graduation speech this year
Because the principal is preoccupied
With his son going to Israel
And his marriage--

Well, it's--

I don't gossip, but it's complicated
And so I have to do the graduation speech
And the principal thought this would be nice
Because the kids graduating this year
Are my kids

They were my first kindergarten class
And now they're graduating to middle school
And, you know, it's only been a few years
I mean, really, a few years
And now they're so--

I'm sorry, God, I cry
Like, it's--

My husband always asks me
How many times I break down
During the day
In front of the kids

And I tell him
I don't
Because I don't

I wait until they go to recess

But in front of them
At that graduation
With their, you know
Little caps and gowns
It's--I mean...

It's been such a privilege, you know?

To have been there
When they were so young
And instill things in them

Like--kindness
And sharing
Generosity, I mean
Community
The alphabet
Education

I want to say to them
That no matter how much time goes by
They'll always be that class full of kids
My first class

This wonderful group of little people
Who on my first day as a teacher
And their first day as students
Were so much less frightened than I was

I want to tell them
To always be that fearless

And to remember to share
And to be kind

I want to tell them to remember me too
But that seems...

Well, I'll leave that part out

But if I did my job right
And I think I did my job right

Then I won't have to tell them, will I?

No matter how much time goes by
You never forget your first class
Or your first teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment