Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Time to Become A Man

I know you think you can do this alone
And I'm not saying you can't
But you gotta at least give me a chance
To prove I can do this too
Because either way
I'm going to have a say in this
I'm going to be a part of this kid's life
And that's not a bad thing
I mean, it would be a bad thing now
But I still have time

We both do
To become these people
These people that we need to become
To make this work

Look, nobody's more nervous about me than I am
But you have to at least give me time
To rise to the occasion, you know?

My dad wasn't my dad
Two seconds after I was born
He, you know, he grew into it
I should be allowed that
I should be allowed the opportunity
To grow into it

And maybe it won't take that long
Who knows?

But I'm not any less a father right now
Than you are a mother

. . . . .

I'm sorry
That was a mean thing to say, but...

To say it's never going to happen
To say I'm never going to be the guy
I need to be is just...

You gotta give me time
You gotta give me time to do that

And the minute you see me stopping
The minute you see me
Not desperately trying
To move forward
To get to that place
I need to get to

Then yeah
Call it off
And send me packing
And I'll keep sending checks
And that'll be it

But first
You gotta give me time

All I'm asking for
Is time

No comments:

Post a Comment